Basil pesto is a miracle and can jazz up even the simplest of dishes. Pour over fish, chicken or veg while baking, add to almost any Italian dish or simply spread it on a toasted sandwich. It makes everything extra special.
This is my simplified version of pesto minus the parmesan cheese but with just as much flavour.
This makes 1/2 cup of pesto and can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
You will need:
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbl pine nuts
- a pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice and a pinch of lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- a pinch of black cracked pepper
- 4 Tbl good quality olive oil
- Lightly toast the nuts in a dry frying pan over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Place all ingredients (except for the olive oil) into a small blender.
- Slowly add the olive oil until a smooth paste has formed.
- If you don’t have a blender at hand, just crush all of the ingredients in a mortar and pestle or chop everything extra finely and blend the oil in until smooth.