I felt like some simple home comfort food tonight and nothing makes me think of home more than rice pudding. My mother makes hers with whole milk and cream and serves it with homemade jam on top. I like to use almond or coconut milk for mine, so it’s a little bit on the guilt-free side and it packs some extra flavour.
The traditional approach to making rice pudding it seems is to bake it, but growing up we never wanted to wait that long so we always cooked it on a hob, tastes just as scrumptious, I say!
What you need:
- 120g arborio (risotto) rice
- 700ml almond or coconut milk( You can use dairy or any other alternative you like also)
- 40g unrefined cane sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 vanilla pod seeds or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Grated dark chocolate to serve
- Pour the rice,milk and sugar into a saucepan and bring to just below the boil.
- Turn the heat down very low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and simmer for a further 10 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
- Pour into a bowl and grate some chocolate on top.
This is also lovely with some cinnamon, honey and grated apple or just simply a dollop of your favourite jam or fruit compoté.
P.s if you don’t have rissotto rice, any rice you have in your cupboard will do the trick.