Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and what better way to start off your morning than with a glorious bowl of crunchy goodness?! I do use the word breakfast lightly though because I could eat this stuff anytime of the day, be it with almond milk on its own as a cereal, with fruit and natural yoghurt or even as a simple apple crumble topping.
To make a good sized jar of this you’ll need:
- 400g gluten free oats
- 80g dessicated coconut
- 50g mixed seeds (I used sunflower and pumpkin)
- 100g flaked almonds
- 50g mixed dried berries (I used cranberry, blueberry and raisin)
- 3 tbl agave syrup/maple syrup
- 3 tbl coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- First of all preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Now, Mix together the oats, flaked almonds, desiccated coconut and seeds together.
- Spread this mix out evenly on a large baking tray and bake dry in the oven for 5 minutes.
- While this is cooking, melt the coconut oil, agave syrup(or maple), cinnamon and vanilla in a saucepan on the hob. Just let it heat up till it liquefies, don’t let it come to the boil.
- Next, take out your tray of oat mix and add the mixed berries.
- Pour over the coconut oil mixture while still hot and stir till all the granola is coated.
- Bake in the oven for a further 10 minutes or until lightly brown and crispy.
- Let to cool and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Serve with yoghurt and fruit or as a cereal with milk.
P.s You could replace the seeds and fruit in this recipe with whichever you prefer yourself – apricots and dates work really well too. Mix it up a little – Variety is the spice of life!
How do you like your eggs in the morning?
I’ll take granola please